Welcome to Episode 1 of
"Black Girl Homework."
This weeks lesson is on Ancestral Healing (or) "Say Her Name."
Watch the whole video on the Black Girl Mixtape instagram page @blackgirlmixtape - then do your homework. Your assignment for the week is to:
1. Write down your grandmother's name.
2. Write down your grandmother's mother's name. (Great grandmother)
3. Write down your grandmother's mother's mother's name. (Great great grandmother)
*This may require you doing a bit of research. Ask family members. Call an elder in your family and ask questions. Your ancestors need you to say their names. YOU need you to say their names.
4. Say all of their names out loud.
5. Write one brief anecdote about each of them that has nothing to do with trauma. This could simply be one sentence (or more). "My grandmother loved humming as she made breakfast." THIS is a story I love to tell about my grandmother that has NOTHING to do with trauma. It seems small, but it is significant.
*Additionally, this may require your imagination.
- Read "Sites of Memory: Taken from Inventing the Truth" by Toni Morrison
- Listen to Episode 12 of @ebonyjanice's podcast - "Rap Theology: Ancestral Healing and Andre 3000 Lyrics" https://soundcloud.com/raptheology/rap-theology-episode-12-ancestral-healing-andre-3000-lyrics
- Use this link ( https://mailchi.mp/2f0ecf40a344/alshmasterteacher ) to sign up for the Black Girl Mixtape newsletter and get a free download of a track off of @ebonyjanice's #aLittleSelfHelp affirmation mixtape "Master Teacher" (which is an affirmation that is affirming your black girl authority because of your ancestors)
Come back to the website (www.blackgirlmixtape.com) or the Instagram page: @blackgirlmixtape on Friday to check-in on your homework assignment. Feel free to email us at the link in the @blackgirlmixtape bio with any questions about your Black Girl Homework. We will post new assignments every Monday and your follow up will be due every Friday.
Black Girl Mixtape is a live lecture series and digital directory amplifying and celebrating the voices of black women as the authority on all issues pertaining to blackness and womanhood. To donate to BGM’s platform visit www.gofundme.com/blackgirlmixtapetour or give at paypal.me/blackgirlmixtape
*If you are a nonBlack woman and would like to support our work because you know you learn, for free, in this space and from black women's never-ending intellectual and emotional labor - feel free to visit www.blackgirlmixtape.com/voluntary-reparations/ to give a one time reparation or to subscribe to ongoing reparations giving option that supports our tour, our staff, and our ability to continue to serve in this way.